Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Thursday, August 11th –Sunday, August 14th: A Show of Thanks –Tanggio tumas



The time of departure is drawing near as I wrap up my stay in Auki and I waffle back and forth, thinking, am I ready to go home just yet? In one sense, I look forward to seeing my friends and families soon, being able to share my awesome experiences and enjoy some of the luxuries of being home, like a hot shower and my own bed. At the same time, however, I’m not ready to leave behind the relationships I have formed here. A year and a half ago, my knowledge of the Solomon Islands consisted in the sparse number of facts from WWII trivia. After only three weeks, the Solomons became not just a name written in the pages of a history textbook or travel brochure but has become a part of my life in a bigger way. I now appreciate the countless people I have met and the special moments we have shared in the classroom or chapel, on the road or at the dinner table. Living and working with them, even for only three weeks, has given me an experience I will never forget.

As I said goodbyes to my students over the past two days, it was easy to see the difference in both them and myself. Arriving, I was a slightly overwhelmed visitor who had only a little experience in education and was handed an English grammar workbook to refer to. Similarly, the students were taken aback by this strange foreigner who didn’t speak their language and who seemed to ask impossible grammatical questions. Yet in these last few days, the students have jumped at the chance to take group photos, exchange addresses and even bid me farewell with “Mi fala luvim iu, Madame!” (“We love you, miss!”). It’s wonderful to feel a part of this community at Alegegeo, but an even better feeling knowing that I have been able to help in some small way. This past week, instead of looking out and seeing averted eyes or hidden faces, the students opened up enough to ask questions and help for English grammar review. By benefitting from their questions and feedback I felt that this week, especially, I had been able to focus on what they needed and wanted rather than going blindly by the book. I wish I could stay longer and have more time to interact with these students; it seems I have to leave just as we’ve reached a comfort level with one another!

In recognition of my past two weeks at Alegegeo, the teachers graciously hosted a farewell celebration where they did what Solomon Islanders do best –give speeches, food and gifts. I returned to the staff room after my last class, surprised to find all faculty and staff gathered with a prepared lunch and a warm welcome. I was taken aback by the humble speeches as teachers and class captains alike apologized for the lack of resources and the possible behavior of the students. I couldn’t help thinking, “But they have nothing to apologize for!” feeling appreciative and respectful of their culture. As I’ve come to discover, gift giving is a huge tradition here in the islands and so the teachers presented me with traditional shell money jewelry and handmade baskets. In return, I was able to offer them a donation of flash drives for the teachers’ use. This exchange is only a physical expression, for it’s been a learning experience for us all and an exchange of language, culture and traditions.


Saturday was beach day! “It’s sunny days like this and pictures of picnics on the beach that make people think my job is a year-round vacation,” Bishop Chris joked. After a morning in the kitchen preparing, we loaded up Bishop’s truck (not an exaggeration, as we managed to fit 20+ people as well as food for all!) and headed to the seaside for beach soccer, swimming and picnicking. I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect day –we enjoyed beautiful weather and warm water, which was clear enough to hunt down the blue starfish hiding in the coral. It was soon established that I was to be used as a human diving board, and the pikininis nearly drowned their new friend as they all tried to climb up and jump off my shoulders at the same time. Driving home, we made a pit stop at the river for a “free car wash,” during which we had to sacrifice a few passengers in the back to lighten the load after getting stuck halfway through…oops! We returned in time to watch the final game of the Maliata cup between green Central Province and blue Auki. (After a weeklong tournament that had been played on the soccer field on the Alegegeo campus, the teachers will be relieved that they can now teach in peace. I, too, found that the rules of English grammar couldn’t compete for the students’ attention while there was excited cheering just out the window. I can’t say I blame them...) 

That evening, after a dinner of delicious coconut crab with the sisters (yum!), Sr Loretta and I went to see the students at Alegegeo showcase their dance talents and perform some traditional island dances they had prepared. Although initially very shy to step out onto the dance floor, they blew me away with their song and dance, each different one representing the cultures and traditions of various tribes. After cheering on their favorites, the dance floor was once again open to all the brave souls. My students dragged me out again and again, calling, “Madame, come dance so you can show your friends how to dance Solomon Island style!” (Warning to all you at home: be prepared…!)

Sunday morning called for an encore of French toast (I can’t tell if the sisters will miss me or the recipe, ha!) followed by mass down the road at St. Augustine’s Church. During mass, the parish community presented me with a beautiful flower lei, shell money necklace and carved wooden cross. I am truly humbled by the generosity of the community here in Auki, for even though they did not initially strike me as a wealthy community, they are wonderful givers of warmth, hospitality and love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment