Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Wednesday, August 10th: Rest and Reflection

Looking back and thinking about how “jump” had been my initial approach to spending my time here in Auki, I’ve come to realize that quiet observation and reflection are just as important when tackling something new. Often times, however, I am filled with excitement and greet these new opportunities with such energy that I can forget to briefly take a quiet time-out and to stop and reflect. After a busy week and a half in Auki, my stomach finally met its match with some of the foods during the weekend celebrations and I was forced, reluctantly, to sit out some of the week’s planned activities and spend some quiet rest time. (During this time I’ve discovered that Solomon Island lemons are the cure-all for all sicknesses here!) Although I was disappointed that I wasn’t able to practice the new sing-sings with the kindys or make another visit to Kilu-ufi, I took this opportunity to reflect on some of the things I have learned while in the Solomons.

1.      Listen. One of the first things I noticed upon arriving in the Solomons was how very soft-spoken people are. Considering both this and the fact that most are speaking in Pijin, I faced a bit of a challenge with communication my first few days. At home, I needed very little effort to hear and understand what someone said and a simple response of a nod or ‘uh-huh’ would suffice. Coming to the Solomons, however, I had to adjust this approach altogether and focus attention on active listening rather than simply hearing what people were saying. On more than one occasion, I’ve had to lean over, face to face, with students asking questions in class in order to hear them. I’ve also had to ask people to repeat their names an embarrassingly large number of times before I’ve heard them correctly. These listening exercises have made me aware of the distractions we face and the ‘automatic response’ that we so often resort to in conversation rather than being fully present.

2.      Why be intimidated? Walking through the market with Srs Regina and Maria my first Saturday here, I was completely overwhelmed by the chaotic atmosphere and even felt intimidated by the attention I drew from everyone in the market. I found, too, that walking through Alegegio campus and Kilu’ufi hospital that all stares were directed at me, which made me feel out of place. Getting up in front of a classroom full of students only a few years younger than myself, was definitely unnerving and I couldn’t help but wonder if I was making any difference. Yet, as I came to grow used to my new setting and learning names and faces of the people around me, I grew much more comfortable and relaxed and able to start forming relationships with these people. I even came to find out from the teachers at Alegegio that the students were more intimidated of me than I was of them and I had no reason to be worried!

3.      Dancing brings joy. Dancing, whether it is the Hokey Pokey or traditional Solomon Island dance, brings a certain joy to a situation. Sharing the laughter and fellowship of those around you allow you to connect with people –even if you don’t speak the same language.

4.      Go with the flow. I’ve come to find that things here operate on “Solomon Island time.” Just like my flight to Honiara at the beginning of the trip, the weather dictates much of what happens here on the island –everything from when stores open and close, to the bus schedule (or rather, lack thereof) and whether or not school is in session. Be flexible. Be patient.

5.   Power of prayer. Arriving in this totally new culture with new faces, sounds, foods and customs, I was relieved to find that the church and its community was somewhere I felt at home. No matter how different other things were, there was that same sense of community when people gathered together in prayer, both in the small chapel here in Fanulama and in the larger church down the road. It was inspiring to see the faith of all the members of the small community here –even down to 5-year old Waisu, who joins us each evening for the rosary, even though he understands very little English.

No comments:

Post a Comment